Our Roots


The heritage of Vectronix goes back to 1921, when Wild Heerbrugg was established as a manufacturer of angle-measuring and other optical precision instruments in Heerbrugg, Switzerland, where Vectronix is headquartered to this day. 

The original company merged with Ernst Leitz Wetzlar from Germany in 1986, and became the Leica Group in 1990.

Seven years later, Leica was split up into Leica Camera, Leica Microsystems and Leica Geosystems. The Defense & Special Products Division of Leica Geosystems became a separate company in 2002 as Leica Vectronix AG and joined the French Sagem Group in early 2003. 

The parent company Sagem merged in May 2005 with the aero-engine manufacturer Snecma to form the SAFRAN Group. Vectronix is part of the Optronics and Defence Division of Sagem.